Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lets Mould and Paint

Universe Awareness Kenya volunteers ended the year by visiting an informal school in Dagoretti. The aim of the informal school is to rehabilitate the youth who have been affected in their homes by abusive parents and guardians. Some of the children have abused alcohol and drugs and have been kicked out of school. The younger children aged 6 whom we end up working with are affected children. Most of them are from abusive families and attend the informal school everyday. This is a very needy school that is supported by AMREF and other organizations. Most of the people who help run the school are university students who spare some time to volunteer at the school. 
The road to the school is not very easy and we get up pretty early to find our way there. Of course we get lost but eventually find our way to a waiting audience. We are welcomed by a group of volunteers who are very interested in the program. After running them through our plan of activities for the day we are finally allowed into one of the classroom. 

I start by introducing my self in Kiswahili and later on inform the children why I am there. I am with an international film crew who are interested in covering my story, my work in the classrooms and my journey as an Astronomer and Science educator. After I introduce myself, and take them through some basic fun games I start the lesson. I have charts with me that I use to teach the young children about our solar system. They are young and do not understand much of what is happening or about the solar system and any questions I ask them has to be answered in Kiswahili. for example when I asked them about the things they see in the sky, they respond in Kiswahili. I decide to conduct my lesson in both english and Kiswahili. 
In Kenya, English is our official language and Kiswahili is our national language. In all formal schools, everything is taught in English. At this school is when it dawns on me that there are very many disadvantaged children in m y country. Children who cannot have access to free education because of their background. I appreciate the work the Dagoretti Centre is doing for these children as it is in places like these that children can get an opportunity to compete with their peers.

Though not well equiped, the school provides basic meals for the children, basic education and recreational facilities. 

Back to the class, the students get the charts and with the help of the volunteers at the centre they begin to mould and paint their planets. Seeing the children enjoy their task and get creative I feel that I have done some work. After we have all our planets, the asteroid belt, comets and other celestial features in our solar system created, I begin to receive questions from the students about what they have noticed. "Why is Jupiter so big? Why is the moon so small? How many moons does Jupiter have?"   

After our learning session the young children carry their tiny feet to the dining hall for a cup of tea. We are thereafter invited to the Hall to watch them entertain the rest of the school with a play. That was one of the places I visited that I will never forget. I would love to thank Vincho, all the children and teachers for giving me the opportunity to visit that centre. 
 

1 comment:

Mponda said...

Dear Susan

Your story is very much inspiring even to me as a reader but I find myself in the situation. You have done a great job to reach those childrens and you will always be remembered by them.